If you are looking to buy a new furnace for your Michigan home, there are many options and factors for you to consider. The two factors that you most want to get right, though, are the size of the system needed for your home, and the level of energy efficiency.
For furnaces, size and efficiency are closely related. You see, the energy efficiency of heating systems is measured by something called AFUE, or Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency. AFUE is expressed as a percent, and it tells you what percent of the energy contained in the fuel actually gets turned into useable heat for your home. If the AFUE of a furnace is 90 percent, then 90 percent of the heat energy from the fuel is used to warm the air in the system, and the other 10 percent is wasted or lost. The amount of heat produced is measured by British Thermal Units, or Btu's. So, if the gas or oil being consumed contains 10,000 Btu's of energy, a 90 percent AFUE system would put out 9,000 Btu's of heat into your home.
A higher AFUE rating, therefore, will save you money on your heating fuel bills, but it can also save you more than that. A higher AFUE rating also means you will not need as large of a furnace. This is because furnace size is measured by how many BTUs of fuel are used to run the system, instead of how much heat is produced. People who choose a new furnace based on the size of their old one often end up paying for more heating power than they need. If your old heating system has an AFUE of 70 percent, and you upgrade to a 90 percent AFUE system, you don't need the new one to be the same size as the old; you actually need a unit that is about 20 percent smaller.
At Mast Heating, we can help you determine exactly which heating system will work best for the specific needs of your West Michigan home. Contact us with any questions; we'll be happy to help.
Our goal at Mast Heating & Cooling is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about new furnace selection and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Mast Heating & Cooling services the Zeeland, Michigan and Holland, Michigan areas. Visit our website to see our special offers to get started today!
Photo courtesy of Shutterstock.