What does SEER and AFUE mean?

So, have you been doing research on replacing your current comfort systems with a new furnace or air conditioner? If so, it’s likely your head is spinning. You have the A-F-U-E number and the S-E-E-R rating. All the information out there can be confusing. Let’s see if we can sort it out for you.

AFUE Stands for Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency, which is one of the best and easiest tools to use when choosing a new furnace. The number measures the efficiency of a system over a season, which gives homeowners a good idea of the general operating costs. The rating tells you how much of the fuel consumed goes toward generating heat. A furnace that rates 80 percent AFUE will use 80 percent of the fuel consumed to generate heat for the home. The other 20 percent is lost, usually up the chimney.

In general, higher AFUE-rated equipment means lower operating costs over the lifetime of the system. High-efficiency systems generally have special features allowing them to run at lower speeds, consuming less fuel and extending service life.

Now let’s go to the other side of the HVAC equation, air conditioning. Now we’re talking about the SEER rating. It stands for (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio). Similar to AFUE, the higher the number, the more efficient the new AC unit is and the more money you will save on your utility bills. You should know the SEER rating is based on a high temperature of 83 degrees. Depending on local conditions, high temperatures routinely hotter or cooler, the rating may need to be adjusted. The Mast Heating & Cooling AC repair experts for Grand Rapids will make sure you get a fair comparison of different central air conditioners.

Now let’s go beyond the raw numbers. As important as the efficiency ratings are, even a brand-new furnace or air conditioner won’t operate efficiently if:

  • The installation is done incorrectly
  • Ductwork isn’t sized correctly
  • There are leaky or uninsulated ducts
  • Routine maintenance is ignored
  • Home is not insulated properly

It’s why you need to depend on Mast Heating & Cooling, the heating and cooling experts for Grand Rapids and Holland, MI. Since opening our doors in 1956, we have made your comfort our top priority and all of our work is backed by a 100% satisfaction guarantee.