Repairing Broken Heaters in Greater Holland for Over 67 Years
Even if people think of Michigan as a warm place, its winters can still get pretty cold, especially without a functioning heater. Would you know what to do if yours failed in the middle of a February storm? Do you know who to call? First, take a deep breath. There's no need to panic. Mast Heating & Cooling is just a phone call away.
Our HVAC company has been helping people in Holland fix their broken heaters since our business started in 1956. Tell us about your heating problem, and we’ll send a trained HVAC technician to tackle it. Known for providing prompt, reliable service, we’ve become the go-to source for locals with heating system problems.
Symptoms of a Heater in Need of Repair
Because extreme cold snaps are less common in Zeeland, a lot of our clients aren’t familiar with the ins-and-outs of heater operation. They often miss smaller signs of heating issues, meaning we only get called when there’s a major, expensive problem. To make fixing your heating problems easier, we advise residents of Holland to stay on the lookout for:
- Cold Spots: Is your thermostat cranked up to 75 degrees, but your home still feels like an icebox? Is your heater continually turning on and off without maintaining the temperature? This is a common sign of a heater that needs repair. Before calling us, however, double-check that the filter is clean and free of clogging dust.
- A Yellow Pilot Light: If your heater has a pilot light, is it burning blue or yellow? If it’s the latter, you need to leave your home immediately. This is an indicator that your heater is producing excess carbon monoxide, an odorless gas that can cause death. Before calling us, reach out to your gas company, so they can turn off the line and check for leaks. After that, dial (616) 772-2252 to schedule your Holland-area heater repair.
- Weird Smells: Note that we’re not referring to the musty odor you get when you turn your unit on for the first time in the season. This odor is normal and results from your unit burning off all the dust that accumulated in the off season. If you notice an odor that refuses to go away, however, it’s time to call a local HVAC expert. To lower this dust level, consider scheduling heater or furnace maintenance in Holland.
- Odd Noises: A heater on its last leg will start making strange noises. This can be the whining of a worn belt, the squeaking of a poorly lubricated nut, or the creaking of an unstable chassis. Though these sounds may indicate little, they can also be a sign of something that needs attention. Since it’s better to be safe than sorry, we advise you to reach out to us at (616) 772-2252 the first time you notice a problem.
- Increased Energy Costs: One of the easiest to notice signs of a heater in need of repair are skyrocketing utility costs. If your gas or power bill increases without an obvious explanation, it may be due to a loss of heating efficiency. Fortunately, repairing your heater is often enough to return energy use to normal levels. In some cases, however, we might recommend total heating system replacement.
- Frequent Cycling: Does your heater rarely turn off? Have you noticed it popping on and off on a fairly regular basis? If either of these are the case, your heater might be in need of repair. While this doesn’t necessitate an emergency, long-term short cycling can drastically shorten your heater’s lifespan. To fix short-cycling in Jenison or Holland, give our HVAC technicians a call.
The Main Reasons Good Heaters Go Bad
A proper understanding of what heater parts are likely to fail can better equip you to deal with an HVAC emergency. It also makes it easier for you to communicate your heating problem in a clear, comprehensive way. Our 67 years of experience repairing heating systems in Holland has taught us that the issue is often:
- Bad Thermostats: Your thermostat tells your heater when to turn on and off. If it’s not working right, you’ll have a hard time staying warm. To see if this issue is at the root of your problems, try swapping out the thermostat’s batteries. Also make sure that it’s on and set to HEAT and that the run method selected is AUTO.
- Ignition Failure: Pilot lights can go out and refuse to light. When this happens, your heater loses the ability to warm the air, leaving you chilled. The main cause of pilot light issues are grime build-up and wear around the burner. If you can’t get it to reignite, reach out to our Holland HVAC company at (616) 772-2252.
- The Exhaust Blower: The heater’s exhaust blower takes your unit’s combustible output and vents it outside. When this system fails, your unit will cycle on and off before shutting down. Regular heater maintenance can keep the exhaust blower running as intended, preventing unintended shutdowns.
- Blower Motor Failure: Your heater’s blower motor is what pushes the air through your ducts and out your vent. When it fails, even the most efficient unit won’t be able to heat or cool your home. Typical causes of failure include clogging and overheating. Having your ducts cleaned regularly can take the strain off the blower motor and allows it to run effectively.
- Bad Heat Exchanger: Your heat exchanger is one of the most vital components of your heating system. It’s responsible for keeping combustion gasses separate from the warmed air circulated throughout your home. When this part of your heater fails, carbon monoxide can enter your air supply. Replacing a heat exchanger can be cost-prohibitive. We often recommend replacing your heater instead, especially if the cause of failure is short-cycling because you have too large of a heater installed for your square footage.
Luckily, no matter the size of the issue, our Holland HVAC technicians have likely seen it before. Our well-equipped trucks allow us to fix most common heater issues on our first visit. This means less time spent layering jackets and a return to comfort in your home.
Trust Mast Heating & Cooling with Your Heater Repair in Holland
When you need your heater repaired or replaced, trust the experts at Mast Heating & Cooling! As our long list of happy customers shows, many of your neighbors already do! With years of experience helping people in the Holland maximize their comfort, we have the know-how needed to get the job done. No matter what you need, our company has well-defined services and procedures in place to ensure consistency and a proper diagnosis.
In other words, when it comes to heater repair in Holland, you can always count on Mast Heating & Cooling. Contact us at (616) 772-2252 to schedule your heating service.